Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Zeke

Domestic Shorthair Feline -- that's how Zeke's final vet bill describes him. But to me, he was so much more.

From the time he was 6 weeks old until this afternoon, he was my pet, my little buddy. Twelve years.

In many ways, he was just a cat. He was hugely motivated by food and a moving piece of string.

In other ways, unique -- he liked his underarms scratched and to hitch a ride on my sister's shoulders.

But he's been there with me since before kids, before husband, before life as I know it now...

And I was the one who had to decide to end his life today. What gave me that right to rob him of another hour, or twelve hours, or twenty-four hours of just being?

The vet painted a picture of inevitability, but I could have taken him home...brought him back tomorrow...it was my choice.

I just hope I didn't betray Zeke's trust.

Bye buddy.

4 Comments:

At November 04, 2005 11:43 AM, Blogger Merujo said...

:-( Sorry to read of your buddy's passing. I've had to make these choices before, too, and it's so very hard. I always hope that our little buddies know that we're making the best choices for them.

But that doesn't make it any easier.

 
At November 05, 2005 2:41 PM, Blogger Spencer said...

I'm sorry you had to make such a choice. You did it because you cared and because you felt he was suffering.

my condolences.

 
At November 06, 2005 11:28 PM, Blogger kristen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 06, 2005 11:45 PM, Blogger kristen said...

I'm so sorry to read about your loss. I've been in this position before. It's such a difficult decision to make. You never want to see someone you love suffer that way, even though it's so hard to say goodbye.

Hopefully they know how much we love them when we do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home