Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Ghost of Infatuations Past

(Even if you have no inclination to read the rest of this post, click on the link at end...you can thank me later.)

I have no idea what the exact physiology is, but some frontal lobe or another usually decides to assault me with nonsensical thoughts as I drift off to sleep each night...and yesterday, for whatever reason, the late 60's show "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" invaded that twilight state.


What? A show that I probably hadn't seen or thought about in at least 30 years?

I remember that I loved the show -- but why? It dawns on me that I had a childish (somewhat appropriate since I actually was a child) crush on the captain.

I mean, isn't it every young girl's fantasy to have a cantankerous ghost living in your attic?

Then this morning -- holy crap -- I found the above photo online and realized that my husband looks an awful lot like Captain Gregg.

Well, at least my taste is consistent.

Captain Gregg was on a list of older (as in old enough to be my grandfather?) men that made me feel all warm inside in my single-digit days:



Andy Williams! (Dreamy blue eyes and that smooth croon...)




The blond guy on The Man From U.N.C.L.E. -- Illya Kuryakin! (From the good ole pre-V-chip days when a parent could allow a 5 year old to watch a show featuring gunfire and espionage...)





The dad from the Sound of Music (Well, I still can't explain that one...maybe because he solved a problem like Maria?)

What does this all mean? That sexual orientation is innate? That there's no explaining chemistry?

That I'm pretty darn old?

Yep, that would be it.

But it is impressive that every youthful memory I could conjure up has a website devoted to it; some more creative than others.

So, please enjoy this artistic interpretation of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

3 Comments:

At October 20, 2005 11:00 AM, Blogger radiocynic said...

Okay, this is frightening.

Um, step away from the Barbies. And maybe get some sleep...

Aw crap, does this mean I have to grow a beard again?

So I can see the Captain thing, and I've been accused far too many times of singing like Andy Williams, and I may have even resembled the Auf Wiedersehen dad dude in some of my thinner and more-conservatively-dressed incarnations... but I seriously doubt I can pull off the Illya Kuryakin schtick.

I don't remember many single-digit-age crushes, but I do have a vague recollection of being strangely affected by watching Vikki Carr sing "Lazy Day" on Ed Sullivan or Lawrence Welk or something like that... (and it wasn't even her hit, it was Spanky & Our Gang's, but she covered it...)

But hmmm, kinda close...
http://cover6.cduniverse.com/PhantomArt/102134.jpg

-- The Ghost

 
At October 20, 2005 5:59 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

Hey captain -- how's Tennille doin'?

Just to clarify...I do not currently have the hots for Illya Kuryakin, Andy Williams (although still have the hots for blue eyes) or even ghosts with telescopes.

Those were age 5 to 10 fascinations. Pre-Donny Osmond even (if one can imagine a prepubescent world without Donny ;) Actually, the weird thing was the Osmond Brothers were on the Andy Williams show, Donny was about my age and I was only interested in the old guy.

And, gosh, I forgot to include Christopher Lee in my parade of older men. (Too many Saturdays afternoons spent watching Hammer films on UHF.) Actually, I still think Christopher is pretty cool (in a totally non-sexual way, that is!)

 
At October 21, 2005 10:58 AM, Blogger Merujo said...

Oh my god. I thought I was the only child in the world who had a total crush on that marvelous ghosty captain. Your coolness factor, which was already pretty high, has just skyrocketed. :-)

And, can I tell you, when I was a kid, I got all swoony at Baron von Trapp and the way he looked at Maria when they danced on the veranda.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir Barbie Theater? Dear God, that rocks! (Have you ever seen the original movie with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison? Love it. Awesome rainy Sunday afternoon movie.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home