Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cyn's Movie Recommendation for Stoners, Stay-at-home Moms Who Don't Like Soap Operas, and the Employment Challenged

Yesterday, I was paging through the Verizon Fios On Demand menu for something free to watch while I did mending (Mending? Yikes! When did I turn into a granny?) when I saw it listed -- The Brain That Wouldn't Die!

Guess how I spent the next 80 or so minutes.

As manner of explanation (or excuse), I present one of my earliest television memories:

My sister and I were sleeping over at my grandparents' house...in my hazy memory, we were tucked in, each on our own little cot, in a small room that might have been my grandfather's home office or a spare bedroom. The room was dark, save the glow from the black-and-white television sitting on a cart between our parallel cots. The whole set-up was quite a treat, because (of course) we didn't have TVs in our bedrooms at home.

We were being allowed to watch a television program before we went to sleep. That show was: The Outer Limits.

...we control the horizontal...we control the vertical...

If you're not familiar with Classic TV (read "not anywhere near as old as I am") The Outer Limits was kind of like The Twilight Zone, but scarier - at least to a kid. And I probably wasn't any older than 7 years old at the time. But I loved that show. And it seems to have either set the stage, or have been an indication, of the viewing tastes of the rest of my childhood.

ANYWAY, a long and roundabout way of saying I watched a lot of Sci-Fi/monster flicks in my misspent and sedentary youth...and although I may have seen The Brain That Wouldn't Die half a dozen times on UHF in the 1960s-70s, I've never watched it as an adult. Naturally, I had to rectify that when I saw the listing yesterday afternoon.

Turns out I really got a kick out of it. In fact, I'd give this flick four (out of five) Dust Bunnies (what other measuring unit would a person use that's watching a B movie at 1 in the afternoon?)

It's got the requisite inadvertent humor you look to a B movie for, but also a plot that is fairly inventive. And a feminist message -- she's not going to let a little thing like a lack of torso and limbs keep her from taking control of a bad situation!


Even if you've never seen the movie, the image above is fairly iconic. And evidently, this film was used in a popular MST3K episode -- but I would suggest watching the original version and adding your own heckling.

Because the movie stands very well on its own (lack of) feet. Like most successfully cheesy Sci-Fi, The Brain That Wouldn't Die explores/exploits a scientific innovation. It was made in 1962, the year that a severed limb was first successfully reattached. View it in that light, and you see the movie works not only on the pure horror level, but also played on a prevailing fear of the time -- that medical science might venture into areas where it didn't belong...doctors playing god and conducting unethical experiments...hmm, absolutely recycles the Frankenstein plot...so, um, forget my analysis and enjoy the bad acting and pure camp of it all.

Expect something very low-budget (a couple times it's glaringly apparent they used music so they didn't have to mic a scene), enjoy the retro vibe of the trolling for loose women scenes, and laugh out loud like I did at practically everything Jan In A Pan says.

3 Comments:

At November 22, 2008 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I just accidentally found your Leo page and it touched me greatly. I am so sorry for your loss.

I do cat rescue and mentoring and have many, some ill. My best buddy and constant companion, Bert was diagnosed with feline diabetes and it is a heart rendering experience, but, somehow we have been managing to get through the day to day injections and meds. He, like your Leo, is quite a trooper and quite the affectionate boy.
I wish you all the best and I am sure you will be reunited someday.
(Read about the Rainbow Bridge)

You are obviously a very sweet and loving woman. Take good care!

Yours

George
Cape May. NJ

 
At November 22, 2008 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I just accidentally found your Leo page and it touched me greatly. I am so sorry for your loss.

I do cat rescue and mentoring and have many, some ill. My best buddy and constant companion, Bert was diagnosed with feline diabetes and it is a heart rendering experience, but, somehow we have been managing to get through the day to day injections and meds. He, like your Leo, is quite a trooper and quite the affectionate boy.
I wish you all the best and I am sure you will be reunited someday.
(Read about the Rainbow Bridge)

You are obviously a very sweet and loving woman. Take good care!

Yours

George
Cape May. NJ

 
At November 24, 2008 10:19 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

Thanks so much for the comment George! Sorry to hear about your Bert...sounds like you are experienced in feline care and hopefully the meds will stabilize Bert's condition and just become part of the daily routine.

It's been two years since Leo died but he is still very much with us in many ways...we still talk about him often -- he was quite the unique soul.

After 18 months of petlessness, we adopted a couple of long-haired kittens from a local shelter about six months ago...and although neither is a Leo (actually, I think they're Aquarians;) they are both unreasonably affectionate and often remind me of Leo. So I consider myself triple-y lucky in the feline department, I guess. (Or quadruple-y if you count Leo's brother Zeke, who was a sweetheart, if a little less comfortable with the human species in general.)

Cats are such wonderful animals...it nearly broke my heart to see so many in the shelter hungry for affection. (One little lady fell into a blissful sleep just from me scratching her head for a few seconds through the bars of her cage.) I would encourage everyone to consider adopting.

Good luck with Bert and your other furries :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home