Wednesday, November 05, 2008

She Asked for a Smiley Face

This was the first presidential election my nine-year-old daughter was aware of. She followed the campaigning with interest (in a fourth-grade superficial kind of way.)

Even so, there was no way she could stay up last night to watch all the results come in, not with school today.

Before she went to bed, she had a request. If Barack Obama won, she wanted me to slip a drawing of a smiley face under her bedroom door...and if John McCain won, I was to make a sad face.

I've never enjoyed doodling more.


There's not much I can say here that won't be said better by those more eloquent than I...and maybe the election results are a clear sign that the time for words is over and the time to act is here. But I'm smiling inside, more than the smiliest of doodles could convey.

Because I doubted reason would prevail. Because I didn't believe that racism could be overridden in my lifetime. Because I had given up hope, but now it has been given back to me.

Thank you, fellow voters. Thank you, Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States.

5 Comments:

At November 05, 2008 4:09 PM, Blogger Merujo said...

:)

So cool.

 
At November 06, 2008 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this a few days ago and neglected to comment - this about the best post election story I've read.

Save the video of the speech from Tuesday, and show it to your children when they're older - it was that good.

 
At November 10, 2008 10:12 AM, Blogger Cyn said...

Thanks guys!

You know Spencer, I have to watch that speech again...I was battling sleep and I don't remember as much as I should.

Bob Schieffer had a really good commentary running on KYW yesterday (one of my few job benefits is that I get to hear his commentaries several times a shift - I kinda have a grandpa-crush on Bob) about the tone of the speech and Obama's campaign in general; it echoed my thoughts (articulated much better than I ever could.)

I found video of Schieffer's commentary here: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4586527n

 
At November 11, 2008 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I'm surprised that Schieffer wanted a more aggressive speech - I felt it set the right tone. I'm also happy that Obama squashed any ideas of a big event (fireworks?).

Can anyone wait for him to be President?

 
At November 11, 2008 8:05 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

No - can't wait! Also can't wait for people to stop caring about Sarah Palin. Ugh.

Having listened to the commentary six times during my shift -- what I took away is that Schieffer expected the speech to be more celebratory (I did too) but upon reflection he decided it was perfect, and in keeping with Obama's dignified approach throughout the campaign.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home