Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hey, have you heard...?

...It's been a tad hot outside lately.

A very funny take on the media heatwave overkill today in Tom Ferrick Jr.'s Philadelphia Inquirer column. Please enjoy with my compliments.

The most absurd thing I saw on yesterday's "IT'S HOT! IT'S REALLY HOT!!!" coverage was on Channel 10 -- a reporter (I believe it was Vince DeMentri, but the excessive heat was making me delirious, so I can't be sure) doing a stand-up outside in the afternoon heat. Reporter asked the cameraman to zoom in to show the wet spots developing on front of his polo shirt.

You mean -- television reporters sweat in 100-degree weather? Holy Breaking News, Batman! This is quite a revelation.

Where would we be without TV to enlighten us about the wonders of the world?

1 Comments:

At July 23, 2006 4:43 PM, Blogger spocko said...

One particular convention about TV weather that I love is the one where they make some poor reporter stand outside in a hurricane.

"We know that seeing random roofs being ripped off isn't enough for you to appreciate the wind, so here we have Jimmy McReporter trying to stand in 80 MPH WINDS! Watch him as he leans into the wind!
See how his WKRP Jacket ripples in the wind! Watch out for that sign Jimmy! HA! HA! I guess that Jimmy won't be TALKING his head off now! The wind did it for him!"

I have to admit I'm really a sucker for those bits. I just laugh my ass off when that is happening.

Next up on your heat parade news? We fry an egg on the sidewalk!

Seen it. Come on! Be original.

"Next up we grill ribs RIGHT ON your driveway and bake corn on the cob in your mailbox! And for desert, Betsy from the lifestyle section will make a souffle in the back window of a black Toyota Tercel!

Don't try this at home with your kids! They might die!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home