Thursday, June 22, 2006

Things that make me go "Aaaargh" (or some other comic strip expression for stressed-out exasperation)

Working out the other day, the Oprah show on one of the TVs at the gym. Oprah is doing Pilates. She is wearing some sort of body-hugging workout clothing. A horrifying, life-destroying awareness -- Oprah is in better shape than I am.

I might as well ditch this whole exercise thing, walk (being careful not to break a sweat) into the Wegman's across the street, purchase every flavor of Ben & Jerry's, and spend the night devouring them all in an orgy of despair. My husband would be more than glad to oblige, even though he is oblivious to the lithe Oprah.

The next day is: The Last Day of School!

In my house, that means restless children asking for lunch beginning at 9 AM every single day until September 18th. Just like is happening right now.

I type as the youngest speaks: "But Mommy what can we do now? There's no ideas in my head. I don't want to eat grapes. I don't want to eat bananas. I don't want to eat carrots. Mom, there's nothing fun for me to do. What can I do? What can I do now?" The older now joins in, "Mom? Can we have lunch now? I'm starving."

It takes me a half hour to post this very short and meaningless blog due to blogger locking up on me, over and over.

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

3 Comments:

At June 22, 2006 10:10 PM, Blogger Tom said...

I hope your day got better.

Summers at my house are frustrating in a different way: my kids (18, 15, and 12) roll out of bed sometime between 10 am and noon. They muster their strength to eat bowls of cereal, and (if no parents are around to object) slide onto the couch/love seat in the family room to watch whatever syndicated 80's sitcom they can find. Their lack of gumption is soul sucking. But, on the other hand, they are smart, fun, well behaved kids who've yet to get arrested. So we count our blessings.

 
At June 28, 2006 2:11 PM, Blogger Merujo said...

Come with Spencer and me to the non-Dark Side. I'm moving to Wordpress soon, just because I'm so frustrated with Blogger locking up, being down, you name it.

Having just done time with a cranky 15-year-old in the confined space of a cabin, I feel your summertime pain, Mom. ;-) Eeeek!

 
At June 29, 2006 2:01 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

Tom, you've given me hope that one day my children will display a similar lack of gumption (or at least sleep later than 7AM.)

atheist by heart -- course I love my children more than anything! They are unbelievably interesting, funny and rather smart. That's why I hate to deprive the educators of the world of their presense for three entire months of the year. It just doesn't seem fair.

Merujo -- I think you have a blog waiting for me to read...and I have a vacation story of my own to tell. But since my story doesn't involve a cabin, I bet yours is going to top mine by a mile!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home