Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Refreshing Taste of Wood Rosin (and Other Beverage Tangents)

It was a combination of nostalgia, curiosity, and a really good sale that prompted me to purchase a 12-pk of Fresca Peach Citrus soda.


It was only after I had downed a can that I read the side panel and noticed this beverage contained "Glycerol Ester of Wood Rosin."


(Yeah, the Curse of Blogspot put my photo in sideways...I'm too tired to care...tilt your head to the right and it'll look perfectly normal...)

Rosin? The only rosin I'm familiar with is that used on violin bows. And frankly, I never looked at a musician rosining a bow and thought, "Mmmm, that looks tasty!"

So I did a little googling and found a couple studies...

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v35je05.htm
http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v37je02.htm

"...wood rosin that is harvested from the stumps of longleaf pine..and purified to a beverage-grade ester gum."

Well, gee, when you put it like that, it does seem much more deletable!

I won't bore you with scientific jargon, but my non-scientific summary is that the glycerol ester of wood rosin is used to suspend citrus oils in beverage.

There have been studies on rats that indicate that this additive passes through the system without being absorbed.

(Note to those who like to complain about their jobs: It could be worse -- you could be analyzing rat poo for a living.)

Even though it appears that the FDA has signed off on adding wood rosin to one's diet, I don't think I'll be sending on the journey through my digestive tract with any regularity.

But I have to admit I liked the flavor combination of Fresca grapefruit and peach. However, my taste in beverages may be somewhat unique...

...WHICH SENDS ME OFF ON ANOTHER TANGENT:

All this soda analysis got me thinking about Epcot's Ice Station Cool. My little family group probably went through that faux iceberg four or five times when we were at Disney World last year.

Hot temps + Free Soda = Cyn drinking many, many tiny cups of Beverly.

Yes, I am the only human in North America who actually likes, nay, loves that infamous beverage.

(If you search the web for Beverly images, you will find many like this.)





But here I am, with my hands literally full of the stuff.

It could be because I'm half Italian, or it could be because my Holy Trinity of Condiments (wasabi, tabasco, jalapeno) has effectively annihilated my taste buds. But I wish I had an ice cold can of Beverly right now to wash the taste of...

(OFF ON ANOTHER TANGENT)

...McDonald's Hazelnut Iced Coffee out of my mouth.

Esteemed husband and I tried out this new McD beverage tonight. It may be that the seemingly confused minimum wage worker didn't have the recipe down right, but it was the most VILE java beverage I have ever consumed. Well, attempted to consume. Neither of us could manage to actually drink it -- it was sickeningly sweet with very little coffee flavor.

I considered complaining, but without the caffeine I had been hoping to ingest, I just didn't have the energy.

McD's is giving out free samples of the iced coffee starting tomorrow -- I'd love to hear if anyone else taste-tests it. I'm just pissed we had to pay for it.

But I suppose this is my payback for all the free Beverly.

6 Comments:

At July 13, 2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Merujo said...

Omigosh, I had Beverly (or at least the Coke company variant) at the Coca-Cola world headquarters/museum in Atlanta. Dear god, I'm not a fan. I am, however, a total sucker for "spezi" or "Mezzo-mix" the Coke/Pepsi + orange soda creature consumed widely on the German market. I still make my own spezi when I'm in a place with fountain drinks - 3/4 diet Coke to 1/4 orange soda (more or less.) Some find it vile. I love it. I used to smuggle cases of it in to Russia from Germany when I went to visit my brother.

 
At July 14, 2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

I just happen to have both Coke Zero (as always) and orange soda (highly unusual) in my frig.

So I will try your spezi recipe -- and drink a toast to you, Merujo.

 
At July 14, 2006 4:49 PM, Blogger spocko said...

You people are SICK. Everyone knows that only "Wink" is the drink the kids love. Remember the Wink truck coming into town?

Free samples for the kids! We used to run around town looking for the Wink truck. You don't remember Wink? It was before your time? God I'm old.

 
At July 14, 2006 7:52 PM, Blogger radiocynic said...

(singing jinglishly) "Wink... the sassy one... from Canada Dry!"

Ah, yes, we're very very old.

 
At January 17, 2007 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BAN CHEMICALS FROM YOUR BEVERAGES! I'd like to suggest a replacement for store-bought soft drinks and juices and you will love this...I hope. Buy a can of frozen apple juice and some plain or flavored seltzer, let the juice can thaw in the fridge. Pour 3/4 of a glass of cold seltzer and put a splash of the thawed apple juice in it. Not enough flavor? Splash in some more. Yum. Cold, bubbly, it's got bite and flavor...Sparkling cider. Read the ingredients: Apples, carbonated water. PERIOD! Not into apples? Try other juices like Cranberry but it's got High Fructose Corn Syrup - a fast way to increase fat cells size and number - so go easy or get one without like Smucker's Light with Splenda (check the ingredients first). Squeeze a lemon or line into seltzer (zero calories and a very very short ingredients list). Grapfruit juice works, everything works just bear in mind that some of the flavored seltzers may not mix well with the flavors of some juices. If an 8 oz glass of juice contains 120 calories and some carbs etc. imagine what you do to those numbers by using half or way way less as you wean yourself down to just a splash for some flavor. Good luck, let me know how you and your friends make out on just saying NO to chemicals and calories in your beverages! Doc. (ER volunteer, Montgomery County, Maryland. Email: LovingControl@yahoo.com)

 
At January 17, 2007 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to add...I also pour these into screw-top soda bottles and take them in my little cooler in the car everywhere. A home-made soda and a ziplock bag of plucked and washed grapes and I am ready for the movies or running errends or a traffic jam or commute. Enjoy! Doc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home