Friday, August 24, 2007

Shameless

My Esteemed Husband surprised me with the following, and hell, I'd be stupid not to spread it around.

And I quote:

"Can We Do That Again" is...about how, after 14 years, I'm still just as fascinated and spellbound as ever, on EVERY possible level, by my lovely and talented and brilliant wife..."

Brilliant? Hmmm, I usually prefer the term "evil genius" but I'll take "brilliant," sure.

Seriously, how nice is that? And completely unexpected. He is awfully swell, isn't he?

Previous to reading this, I had considered blogging about how it can sometimes be disquieting to be the inspiration/subject matter for someone's lyrics. Like, it's very romantic in the abstract sense, but in practice it can sometimes...well...piss one off to see things expressed in song that one would rather bury in a very deep trench and then cover with quick-dry cement.

But, being brilliant and all, I'll save that topic for another time.

"Can We Do That Again" isn't one of those "good-but-depressing" (my usual kill-the-muse observation) songs anyway.

So I've "No Right to Complain" (which just happens to be the title of another new Esteemed Husband song. What a co-incidence!)

Anyway -- check 'em out folks!

EXTRA ADDED BONUS: "Can We Do That Again" may be the only pop song to feature the word "prurient" in the bridge. (See, he's brilliant too! Wow!)

Plus, it also marks the first time I've been asked to sing background on any of his songs, after lo-these-many years of not-too-subtle hinting...and he wrote a very nice counterpoint thingie in the bridge for me that's really super-awesomely-cool (as we brainiacs like to say.)

Okay -- the end of the shameless spousal/self-promotion. Until the next time, that is...

4 Comments:

At August 24, 2007 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool is it to be a subject of a song?

Since I know the both of you, listening to this song seems a bit voyeuristic.

 
At August 26, 2007 1:51 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

Spencer, your comment is exactly why I thought it might be an interesting blog topic (although generally I try and keep my husband out of this nonsense, if only out of politeness.)

But imagine, if you will, that whatever issues that your significant other has with you are illuminated (albeit in metaphor) and set to music for all the world to see. It can be somewhat bothersome if one isn't able to detach oneself a bit. Then again, detached is my specialty. (See lyrics...)

If you feel voyeuristic, imagine how I feel when Randy is playing his stuff for our parents! Luckily, his lyrics can be pretty opaque (at least I hope so.)

 
At August 28, 2007 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except everyone is writing about someone they know. So I guess every song can be viewed as somewhat voyeuristic from the standpoint of the listener. The difference for me is that I know the both of you - that makes it odd.

Can you imagine being related to someone like Aimee or Michael? How about Michael's son? "Yeah, that one's about my mom". Therapy. Years and years of therapy

 
At August 28, 2007 8:58 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

Tee hee. I think the official line is always like "How do you know that I am the protagonist of the song?" or "It's a composite character."

Remember MP said he combined an ex-girlfriend and G.W. for the sense of entitlement in "You Know How" -- well, anything's possible.

In my own wretched lyric-writing attempts (be grateful I can't write music) I know I sometimes start off with an idea based in real life and then it goes off in a fictional direction (I mean, real life doesn't always give you 3 full verses of good material...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home