Monday, October 02, 2006

Yin/Yang

For every Light, there is Darkness...for every Woody Allen, there is Jerry Lewis...for every Back-to-School, there is Back-to-School-Night.

You'd think that after five years of Back-to-School Nights I'd be able to face it head-on with no anxiety. But it's always a nerve-wracking experience.

Blame it on a room packed full of parents sitting on teeny Honey-I-Shrunk-the-Chairs, which are definitely not sized for the mature behind.

Even the teachers seem uncomfortable to see adults humiliated in this manner.

(If you're new to this blog, you might want to check it my 2005 Back-to-School Night post .)

If you discount the seating (and the pained expression on my Esteemed Husband's face) it didn't go too badly this year.

Oh, there was that moment when Little Miss Deep Thinker's teacher looked directly at me when she said, "A couple of the kids really like to talk..." It was enough to make a mom squirm in her seat -- but if I had actually done so, I might have fallen off my miniature chair.

The highlight of this year's B-t-S Night? A new Tattooed Dad in one of my girl's classes!

Remember I'll Miss You Tattooed Dad? Well, I think I'm going to like this year's model even more!

I just caught a glimpse of his neck tattoo peeking out of the collar of his shirt. Yes -- a collared shirt -- quite the step above last year's mud-flap-girl t-shirt.

(Chalk another one up to the yin/yang: for every dad who flaunts his tattooed-ness is a dad who tries to cover his ink up.)

Still, the idea of a neck tattoo boggles my mind. I can't imagine a reason good enough to let someone get near my major arteries with any sort of needle.

Can't wait for the next school event to try and discern just what is printed on the new T.D.

Stay tuned for further details as they become available!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home