Friday, September 01, 2006

Because You Care About My Appliances...

Our friendly neighborhood (dispatched by could-be-anywhere-in-the-world Sears Service Center operator) repairman told us yesterday that both the motherboard and the drain motor/pump of our Calypso washing machine should be replaced.

So, I feel confident that he will be able to get the accursed washer back into operation....eventually.

Because we have to wait another week for the parts and actual repair.

The repair dude admitted that not only is the Calypso prone to break-downs (as in: we were lucky to have three good years with it) but it's also a bear to work on.

As suspected, this replacement of two major parts more than justifies the cost of our 2-year service agreement. The parts alone would have cost $230-ish and our Master agreement (which covers all repairs for two years) cost $260-ish.

I think $30 is worth having someone who theoretically knows what he's doing repair the machine, as opposed to my Esteemed Husband and I doing it ourselves (even with our superior brain power, I don't think we should be handling the motherboard of any appliance that could theoretically flood our house.)

In this era of expected incompetence and planned obsolescence, it's oddly comforting to know that our Master Protection Agreement buys us two years of not giving a flying f*** about how much it costs to get this lemon of a washer model performing up to standards.

In the meantime, I've begun a secret love affair with my mother-in-law's good old-fashioned knob-operated machine. In fact, we may run off together if this whole Calypso thing doesn't pan out.

3 Comments:

At March 24, 2007 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are contemplating the renewal of two Master Protection Agreements for our Sears range and refrigerator. Bought them two years ago and (knock wood) no complaints but would like another opinion. Any thought Masquerade? Ryan in Bay Area, California

 
At March 24, 2007 9:03 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

Hi Ryan --

If I were you, I wouldn't renew the agreements at this point...if only because I was able to purchase a Master Protection Agreement after my washer stopped working (we just had to wait 24 hours after we paid for the plan to make the claim.)

So why bother to pay for the coverage unless you need it? At least in the old days, frigs and ranges lasted at least 10 years.

Actually I've never had problems with any Sears appliance before this Calypso -- we're still using a Kenmore dryer that was purchased about 15 years ago. But the Calypso was just a bad, bad design misrepresented as being gentler on clothes, when in fact I often find little tiny holes in my cotton knits.

And strangely enough, the last couple loads of wash I've done, I swear the washer is making a funny sound.

So - go ahead and break down on me again baby -- we're covered for another year-and-a-half...

 
At August 12, 2007 9:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

I had previously felt the same way about the longevity of refrigerators "at least 10 years". Then a friend's fridge needed a compressor replacement after 2 years. The part was covered, but the labor was not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home