Sunday, August 06, 2006

More Deep Thoughts

Warning: Kid Stories Ahead, Proceed At Your Own Risk...

My 6 (and 3/4 -- we can't forget the fraction!) year-old likes to talk. Alot. But evidently she also does quite a bit of deep thinking.

My Little Miss Deep Thinker specializes in the non sequitur. For example, the following conversation took place in the bathroom. Out of nowhere.

LMDT: "Does god have a last name?"

Me: "No -- he doesn't need one." I'm about to say, "Like Cher or Beyonce..." (But is god bootylicious?)

LMDT (interrupting): "'Cause, if he did have one, he would have the very first last name in, like, the history of the world!"


A few days later, in the car, LMDT asks:

"Do caterpillars have toes?"

I have to admit that I actually hesitated for a second on that -- I was picturing the Cootie Bug toy, which indeed does have toes.


And entomology isn't my specialty. (I specialize in Entenmannology -- sorry, couldn't resist -- I'm craving a raspberry danish twist.)

Maybe caterpillars have little suction thingies that could be interpreted as toes...hmmm...


But I stray from my point. Which is, "Why?" What prompted her to ask me about god's name and caterpillar toes out of the blue?

Maybe the why doesn't matter. Maybe it's just enough to be the expert who holds all the answers to her questions about everything in the universe, and beyond.

At least for a couple more years.



Another car ride found me imparting wisdom about something or other from my youth:

Me: "...That was a long time ago - in the 1970s..."

LMDT: "You grew up in the Groovy Times?!"


Yeah, I'm nothing if not groovy.

3 Comments:

At August 07, 2006 9:09 PM, Blogger spocko said...

I love those stories.
A friend sends me letters with her childrens quips and questions.

My favorite, when the kid got his first taste of sunshine after years in rainy Oregon.

"Mom! The sun's brighting me!"

 
At August 10, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Spencer said...

THE 70's? You guys are from acient times. Anyway, I think you're groovy!

 
At August 10, 2006 9:18 PM, Blogger Merujo said...

Entenmannology - that's brilliant! We have an Entenmann's bakery outlet up the store. It's the most evil and divine place for miles and miles...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home