Tuesday, May 08, 2007

More photos of some musician guy who I never mention in my blog

Folks, I present to you additional photos of Michael Penn performing at Philadelphia's World Cafe Live on Friday, April 27th. (With my apologies to Mr. Penn for the severe upward angle from which I was shooting. Almost too close, if there is such a thing...)

(Oh, one photo of Jebin Bruni too - although it's rather fuzzy; sorry, he was on the other side of the stage from my seat.)









Jebin Bruni







A ROUGH SET LIST - order not necessarily right (but close-ish - I took alot of this from the Joe's Pub setlist - thanks usblu!) and I may have forgotten a song*...forgive me for not being in the mood to be distracted by taking notes during the show. Feel free to correct me if you see a mistake.

*This list was revised May 18, 2007 using information from a member of the michaelpennlist who goes by the nom de plume of twilight_magic1. (Thanks!) I feel pretty confident that it is now correct.

Making Me 3 For 3
Lucky One
Bucket Brigade
Brave New World
Bad Sign
O.K.
Me Around
Long Way Down
Don't Let Me Go
Bunker Hill
Try
Denton Road
Cupid's Gor a Brand New Gun
Walter Reed
I Can Tell

(I think these were in the first encore, but I may be completely mixed up as to what was encore and what was pre-encore...)

Figment
Out of My Hands
High Time
------------------------------
Second Encore: No Myth

------------------------------

And not being one to feel guilty about recycling my writing, here's what I posted on the Pennlist after the show (so if you've read it already there feel free to skip this part entirely):



His entire performance just flew by for me. It was really stellar,
although I did miss having Buddy Judge's harmonies like we did last time.

The No Myth tale (and somebody correct me if I don't recall the details properly): Michael was all set to play the song in the first encore - as he started he was saying something along the lines of "Well...ok...here it is..." (I paraphrase) when a too-loud guy started yelling out "No! Don't play it!"

And I think a general ruckus began with people voicing their opinions(or maybe just the same loud guy repeating himself solo)(or some combination.)

So, MP calmly says something like "Alright then..." moves his capo to another fret and starts into Out of My Hands.

He did come back and do No Myth for a second encore. And a really nice version -- I think it's the first time I've ever heard him do it without inserting a "not the name of the song" and "also not the name of the song" into the chorus. Which was very funny before, but I really enjoyed hearing the song sung straight this time.



STAY TUNED FOR OUR FINAL THRILLING INSTALLMENT:
THE AFTER-SHOW MEET-AND-GREET --
COMING SOON TO A BLOGGER PAGE NEAR YOU!!

3 Comments:

At May 08, 2007 7:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great job blogging and photographing what we're missing in Charlotte this time Cyn :-). Thanks! Looking forward to the meet and greet portion.

 
At May 08, 2007 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I think you might be obsessed. The pics are so cool though. I wish I had a better angle.

 
At May 09, 2007 7:07 AM, Blogger Cyn said...

Nah...I'm not really obsessed -- not any more than I get obsessed with anything I'm interested in, that is.

I mean, you're talking to someone who has eaten the same cereal for breakfast every day for years. When I like something, I really like it. (Plus, um, it's good for my digestive tract...)

Just trying to spread the word of MP, that's all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home