Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Reunion Show and Tell

If any event deserves a blog, it's attending a college reunion -- if only that it is so out of character for me and my husband. But I'm not really in the mood for a whole bunch of writing. So, I'll try and do a show and tell.

Background: Spousal unit and myself graduated from Temple University -- same year, same major -- but did not meet until 7 years later, on the job.

Neither of us realized this was a "milestone" year for our class until the invitations arrived. Turns out there was an entire weekend of events that were FREE for members of our graduating class (but $90 for guests.) Since we were both grads of the same year everything was free! (Even parking in downtown Philadelphia!) Free! My favorite word!

Feeling like we somehow beat the system, it seemed only right to attend.

We booked a room in the Marriott that connects to the Convention Center (okay, the room wasn't free, but we did get a group rate.)


We venture over to the Pennsylvania Convention Center during the afternoon to case the setup. No one questions what we're doing there. (Perhaps because I am disguised as a dark blob.)

This space used to be the train shed for Reading Railroad station. I took the train home from this station during college, so the location seems entirely appropriate.


Saturday, March 25th
Founder's Celebration 2006
Anniversary class reception 5:30 - 7 PM Open bar and hors d'oeuvres




Evidently, the Rubik's cube was the defining symbol of my class. I had no idea. Later, I am pissed that we didn't swipe the cube for the kids.

It was at this reception that we discovered that only about 50 folks from our entire class were there -- there was a list, and we didn't know anyone on it. Not even remotely. Only two other names from our school (SCAT -- Communications and Theatre.) We are released from any social obligation -- yay!


My husband owns a tux. How suave! He is smiling because we are getting free drinks and food and not talking to anyone -- the ultimate dream of the anti-social.


7 PM Alumni award ceremony.





Local TV anchors Tracy Davidson and Vince DeMentri present the awards to "outstanding" (translation: actually donate to their alma mater) alumni.


8 PM -- Cocktails, themed food stations, music by Joe Sudler Orchestra (did I mention, it's all free?)




Ice Bell Tower


We find a little stand-up table for two to continue our anti-social fest.


Sushi, baby!

Soon afterwards, we were approached by a gentleman who remembered my husband (or at least his name) from a class -- a fellow RTF (radio-TV-film) major. And I had so been hoping to get through without speaking to anyone (sort of a challenge I set for myself when I realized there was no one there I knew.) Oh well.


Sunday, March 26th,
Room service breakfast.

Not free.


But the granola was homemade.


I appear to be reaching for my husband's sausage.






5:30 PM Silver and Gold Reunion Dinner
Park Hyatt at the Bellevue


Park Hyatt staircase after dinner. We actually had to speak to others during dinner, but no photos were taken. Our dinner companions seemed fascinated by our occupation, so we got to talk about ourselves for an hour. Oh joy.


7:30 PM Kimmel Center for Temple University Symphony Orchestra and Combined Choirs


Happy to be back in anti-social mode.



I'm embarrassed to say we'd never been at the Kimmel before. It's a spectacular place. The performances were of professional quality, but Belshazzar's Feast by William Walton is not exactly my cup of classical.

Stuffed to near explosion with free food & drink, we left during intermission to avoid any actual eruptions .


Thank you, Temple University.



We look forward to what is sure to be invigorated fund-raising prompted by our attendance, which we will continue to ignore.

4 Comments:

At March 30, 2006 10:33 PM, Blogger Merujo said...

Anti-social people after my own heart!

(You guys looked very spiffy, by the way.) :-)

 
At March 31, 2006 10:57 AM, Blogger Spencer said...

Yes - Randy looking dapper - love the tux.

I just realized my 15 year reunion is coming up. Crazy - Drexel isn't as nice I think - we'll see. Did you see people you remembered?

And Cindy - I won't even mention the double entendre.

 
At March 31, 2006 5:09 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

I did not see anyone I remembered -- not that I would have recognized anybody anyway -- everyone else except us looked so OLD (hmmm, isn't that weird?)

As I type this in my family room, I see a copy of the Temple yearbook up on the highest shelf. If I ever manage to reach it, I should scan some photos in -- probably at least good for a laugh or two (Hey, it was even before big hair -- we're talking New Wave era...although clueless reunion speakers chose to focus on disco -- damn them!)

 
At March 31, 2006 8:40 PM, Blogger radiocynic said...

(I sure am blog-chatty today...)

Thanks Merujo and Spencer; it may be the first time I've ever been called spiffy or dapper... certainly never on the same page. Though the tux was a little tight on my fat, um, I meant to say "increasingly-muscular" arms and neck, not too bad for a tux that just about exactly dates back to Spencer's graduation year.

I, of course, plagued by my usual guilt-training, was relieved to have the one couple chatting with us for a few minutes. They were very cool, and I felt like I was fulfilling some sort of requirement for interaction with someone I actually had a class with, to justify calling it a reunion.

Of course, I always think my wife is by far the best looking person in the room, but when surrounded by unnatural quantities of 46-year-olds and 71-year-olds, even she might admit to it!

-- R

 

Post a Comment

<< Home