Saturday, December 31, 2005

A Rockin' New Year's Eve

Over the years, I've probably brought in the New Year in every way imaginable. In ballrooms filled with drunken strangers. Denying the calendar and pulling the covers over my head at 10 o'clock (alone.)

Tonight marks the 13th (!) New Year's Eve my husband and I have shared, and so I suppose you could safely say we have a tradition going -- we've always brought in the New Year at home, just the two of us.

With only these requirements: a fire in the fireplace and an overabundance of food. Oh yeah, and some alcohol thrown in for good measure.

Our actual drinks on an actual New Year's Eve in front of an actual fire...

Over the years the menu has ranged from picnic-blanketing with cheese & wine, retro fondue fests, takeout Thai, and for the past few years it's been all about the sushi and cosmos.

The 2004 festivities (perspective inspired by vodka consumption.)


There's really nothing that we miss by staying home -- I mean, there's just as much (if not more) potential for drunken debauchery with our scenario, and absolutely no potential for being careening into by a drunk driver.

Plus we've got Dick Clark back this year (at least theoretically) to count down the seconds until 2006.

So, we'll be rockin' out and I hope wherever you are and however you spend your evening, that you are rockin' out too (in one form or another.)

2 Comments:

At January 02, 2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Merujo said...

Hope you had a good one! I think it was great (yet sad) that ABC had Dick Clark on. So tough to try to understand him sometimes, post-stroke, but god bless him for soldiering on!

Happy 2006!

 
At January 03, 2006 8:05 AM, Blogger Cyn said...

Somehow I found Dick Clark's presence inspiring, even though he was having obvious problems vocally. He just went on, with a business as usual attitude -- all the same cadences -- when it might have been easier for him to just stay out of the public eye for the rest of his life.

After the initial shock, I just loved having him there. Certainly better than having Hillary Duff emcee-ing from CA (but maybe everyone is expected to have turned off the tube after the ball drops anyway.)

And Mariah Carey scared me somehow. Oh, now I remember how -- it was her dress, or lack thereof. It just reminded me of something a a figure skater might wear...or a drag queen...or maybe a drag queen on ice...hey, isn't that the new Disney show?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home