Thursday, January 31, 2008

On the set of The Office (well, sorta)

On Monday night, NBC reran the "Local Ad" episode of The Office -- the episode with a little Second Life storyline.

One of my favorite shows and my favorite waste of time combined in a single easy-to-swallow gelcap! (Or something like that.)

Jim: Playing that game again?
Dwight: Second Life is not a game. It is a multi-user virtual environment. It doesn’t have points or scores. It doesn’t have winners or losers.
Jim: Oh, it has losers.


Being of the loser persuasion...

Oh hell, I was going to put a whole bunch of explanation here, but let's skip to the part when I went back to The Office's Second Life "set" on Tuesday and took a bunch of screen shots.

If you're interested in more explanation, see my full contingent of Office snapshots on Flickr.

Dwight's desk, complete with jello-encased stapler.



A semi-hidden backlot contained what I presume was the Schrute beet farm -- this farm stuff never made it to air...I guess there's a chance it could be used on a future episode.



Explaining the neighs and gobbling sounds I heard while I was inside the Dunder Mifflin office.



I have absolutely no explanation for the ghost lion. But remember, Dwight did kill Angela's cat.



Regarding the picture below...it occurred to me that whoever created this sports bar set couldn't have been from the Philadelphia area; I don't think a real Scrantonite would have bothered to put a 76ers poster up (see the back wall.)

I mean, I don't think anyone's cared about the Sixers since Allen Iverson left.


And I'm a Second Life geek. I know that, and I'm coming to terms with it as we speak.

3 Comments:

At January 31, 2008 1:23 PM, Blogger TROI Timtam said...

Hiya, Cyn! Thanks for checking out the Channing back lot. We thought we'd open it again just for the one night of the "Local Ad" rerun. I built the office (a fast build for the after-party in SL last October), the tavern, and barn. I know what you mean about the Sixers poster, but it was a send-up to Jim from "The Job" episode when CFO David Wallace says, "I don't know if I can hire a Sixers fan," to which Jim replies, "I should go..." We shot a scene at the tavern, but it was not used in the final cut.

The transparent lion was a memento from one of the in-world locations where we shot the Second Second Life scene, a build called, Mesopotamia, which has since changed hands and is no longer there.

The giant beet thingie was part of an unrelated project for another client. Channing really is a private development sim for the company that owns it, so there is a lot of stuff laying around the back lot.

Further development of the build really depends on the showrunners (and NBC) and whether or not they want to move forward with any more activities in SL.

 
At January 31, 2008 8:19 PM, Blogger Cyn said...

Hey Troi - thanks for the inside info! (And for reopening the set for geeks like me :-)

You did a great job with the build, and I really enjoyed all the little touches scattered throughout. Very fun.

Although I was hoping the lion was some sort of Dwight hallucination...but, oh well, you can't have everything.

I've also been in Dwight's apartment (hmmm, that sounds odd) but didn't manage to get those snapshots uploaded. Yet.

 
At February 08, 2008 6:12 PM, Blogger Merujo said...

The very thought of Dwight's apartment terrifies me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home